History History of Bossier City Bossier (pronounced “Bo-zhure”) City, like the rest of Louisiana State, has a dynamic, multicultural history life with Spanish and French influence. Bossier Parish was incorporated in 1843 and named after a famous Creole general in the Louisiana Militia. At the time, the area later to be known as Bossier City was called Cane’s Landing, the Elysian Groves Plantation of James and Mary Cane, and its location near the Red River induced commerce early on as steamboats of cotton, corn and potatoes were shipped to markets all over. Trade expanded further with the completion of the east-west Vicksburg, Shreveport and Pacific Railroad in 1884, the north-south Shreveport and Arkansas Railroad in 1888 and the Louisiana-Arkansas Railroad in 1909. With the Red River situated nearby, these new rail systems and the implementation of highways, Bossier City easily became a hub for trade and transit. June 23, 1925 was the fateful day of a devastating fire that consumed half of downtown Bossier City, but with the loss came vast civic improvements such as a modern water system, a new City Hall, a modern fire alarm system, sidewalks and city parks. By 1950, Bossier City earned the title of “Fastest Growing City in Louisiana” despite the fire’s initial setbacks. Bossier City, once widely known for its cotton exports, expanded and evolved into an airbase and oil boomtown. One of Bossier City’s most proud assets is Barksdale Air Force Base, originally the home of the “mighty” Eighth Air Force and more recently, home to Air Force Global Strike Command and a major reserve unit, the 307th Bomb Wing. Now, Bossier’s economic base continues to expand with the onset of tourism brought by the area’s several casinos, which add to the culture of this riverfront community. Sister city Shreveport has teamed up with Bossier City to provide an exciting and economically sound way of life for all residents without leaving behind its rich Creole charm.